Hyperlocal Marketing

There are about 400 businesses within a 2 km radius of my home. 400 businesses!  I couldn’t believe that there were so many located in my radius. How many had I frequented? How many was I not aware of? What was the oldest business? How many were new this year? 400 businesses - can you imagine? I don’t even live in a major urban centre! I wondered what percentage were marketing their message to me. After all, I am their neighbour! I decided to pay close attention to my mail, my email, brochures, and use my Facebook page and my Twitter account to see how many businesses reached out to me, or how many I could find through social media.

I was happy to see
great use of local marketing from some. A local pizza joint less than 1 km away reminded me of their Tuesday deal via flyer. A clothing store sent me an admail piece (will shop there this weekend). Of course there are exceptions. The maternity shop down the street isn’t going to benefit by targeting by proximity, unless she knows that there are an abundance of pregnant women in the area. But as for the restaurant, hair salons, the bowling alley, and even the fitness centres they are all local businesses that have an opportunity to market within their hyperlocal zone.

Now think about this - there are approximately 4600 households with an average 2.3 persons per dwelling, within a 2 km radius of these 400 businesses. That’s more than the population of many towns throughout Ontario. Canada Post Householder Counts provides household and business count info about your zone. 

Is the concept of hyperlocal marketing difficult for small business owners or does the appeal of mass marketing still hold more value? Is social media still too new of an idea for small business outside urban centres? I hope not, because the general public has caught on to it just fine.  I grew up in a small Ontario village, population under 2000, and keep in touch with many of my friends via Facebook who still reside there.  To say social media is an urban marketing tool?  I say nonsense! It's a hyperlocal tool to engage your community. Online advertising and social media marketing is really just a new form of “word of mouth” to an engaged audience. Not just a younger audience because stats show that one of the largest growing segments of Facebook users are age 55+*.

  • Canada Post offers excellent direct marketing for small businesses.
  • Flyer delivery by FSA (postal code) is offered by newspapers with rates as low at 3 cents a piece.
  • Social media offers an already engaged audience waiting to hear your message.
Keep your marketing plan simple and targeted and don't be afraid to think inside the box. (or at least inside your neighbourhood)
Wishing you lots of local longevity!

footnote:  I struggled with what to name this blog. Hyperlocal Marketing? Local Marketing? Niche Marketing? Zoned Marketing? Local Audience Marekting? Neighbourhood Marketing? Marketing by FSA? Your Neck of the Woods Marketing? In the end they all have a similar meaning and a similar reach. I don't like it when things appear more confusing than they really are!

Barb Bruce
For ideas on how to market your business locally, for advice on getting started with social media, or just to find out more info, feel free to call!  705-927-5953 or service@myradius.ca  

* stats from istrategylabs