Business Ethics

Social relationships in business. Everyone has a different view of social limits in the workplace, and a different level that they hold themselves (and sometimes others) ethically responsible. While building a social culture is ever so important in a productive work environment, it should never overtake the priority of "job at hand".
My rule of thumb is to never judge how someone else views or acts in a given situation, especially if it differs from how I would have acted (or reacted). In a place of business, you often don’t know the road co-workers have travelled down to arrive at their decision. That being said, here are a few of suggestions for keeping your social business relationships clean and ethical.

1. Keep your Friends for Facebook and your Coworkers for Corporate. None of my friends
on my personal Facebook account are or were co-workers (with the exception of one former boss and his wife that I consider my friends and one former direct report who became my friend after we stopped working together). I don’t want the people I work with to know what I did on the weekend, who I hang out with, or how I regularly burn dinner (something my close friends torture me about). I’ll save selected stories to share in the office. Personally if I spend 40+ hours a week in person with my co-workers, I don’t need to spend more time with them in my personal social media world.

2. Don’t Mix Business and Pleasure. Workplace relationships can not only be socially uncomfortable for co-workers, but can often break corporate policy.  Do you really want to find out that your boss has hooked up with a co-worker, or that two of your subordinates are sharing more than staples?  Many workplaces have a corporate policy covering workplace relationships which sometimes backfires, adding to the allure. 

3. Work on building Professional Friendships. Is the office gang going out every Friday nite? Ask yourself this question. If I join in will it negatively impact the way I engage with this group as co-workers on Monday, or negatively impact they way I do business? If you answer yes, then limit your social involvement.  I recently heard a real estate salesperson say that early in her career she would watch as a group of realtors would take their coffee break together, then go have lunch together, then take their afternoon break together, day after day. After a few weeks, one of the realtors said to her, “I don’t get it, I’m not selling anything.” Her comment back was. “Try eating lunch with someone other than your co-workers because I can guarantee you’re never going to sell any of them a house!” Find someone that you might actually sell a house to and have lunch with them instead!” Great advice!

4. Stay Away From the Water Cooler. (Or at least don’t visit it every day). Do you really want to be the employee that everyone visits to find out the work gossip? The problem with the water cooler is many additions make their way onto the story that leaves this social water hub, sparking rumors, office politics, and bad feelings. My advice? Drink pop!

5. Keep Your 2 Cents in Your Pocket. While it's tempting to jump into the social debate of the day, try to avoid becoming part of the party. Many topics that find their way into office conversations have so many different ethical viewpoints that throwing your 2 cents worth in will only make you..well…2 cents poorer.

Bottom line? Abide by your own business social ethics code and those imposed by your employer. After all, they are paying you to do your job so follow their rules. Make sure you can live with your business ethics choices. Your business ethics do not necessarily have to pattern your personal ethics. The two can be separate, as should your business life and your personal life. But then again, that’s just my point of view.

Wishing you lots of cold Pop and Pennies in your Pocket!
Barb Bruce 705-927-5953 or service@myradius.ca