Finding Your Passion

I volunteered in a Gr. 5 class last week helping with a test on probability.   One of the questions was “Do you think you will ever compete in the Olympics?” 
The answer choices were “Absolutely, Likely, Possibly, Unlikely or Impossible.
The boy I was helping answered “Impossible”.  I had to ask why he chose that answer.  “I’m not good at anything,” was his reply.
I told him THAT was impossible and asked what he had a passion for?  “A passion,” he questioned? “Yes, what do you love to do?”  He told me he loved to draw and write stories and he keeps a journal.  He said, “If they ever make drawing an Olympic sport it’s possible I might compete!”  And with that, he changed his answer!  At the end of the day, he showed me his journal and his passion for drawing and stories.  I hope he becomes a famous writer/illustrator!

Expert is a term I rarely use, but this week I had a most engaging conversation with a true Expert in the field of circulation newspaper management.  He reminded me how passionate I am about the newspaper industry and specifically the circulation department which has weathered many challenges in an ever-changing and adapting business environment.
I also visited the basketball hoops in downtown Peterborough, where I played 21, one on one, and shot hoops with three young men for almost two hours. Although they were half my age (yes that would make them 17, and don’t question it...)  I managed to sink a few three pointers that would impress – my passion for shooting a basketball could have kept me there for hours!

Identifying passions and keeping them active are key factors in a fulfilling work and personal life.
Here are five questions to help you identify your passion:
1)      What puts a smile on your face?  Happiness and passion are connected.  They require each other to work in sync.  Identify what makes you smile? Can it become your passion?
2)      What comes easy to you?  Just like my young Gr. 5 friend, your passion should come easy to you.  On most days, is there something you look forward to doing?
3)      What do you like to have conversations about?  Your passion will often turn into a great conversation that you don’t want to end. I wrote my Circulation Expert friend a short novel discussing my passion for the industry!   
4)      What would you regret not trying?  Sometimes there are just some things that you need to experience to find out for yourself whether it’s the right thing for you or the wrong thing for you.  Experience helps define your passions.
5)      What could you do for hours on end and not get bored? Is it reading or drawing?  Maybe it’s a sport like running, basketball or hockey?  Is it your job or certain parts of your job?

I will leave you with a few passionate quotes for the week:
Nothing great in the world has ever been accomplished without passion.”
A great leader's courage to fulfill his vision comes from passion, not position.”                          
If there is no passion in your life, then have you really lived? Find your passion, whatever it may be. Become it, and let it become you and you will find great things happen FOR you, TO you and BECAUSE of you.”

Can you identify one thing that you are passionate about? Add it in to your weekly mix and see if it brings extra energy into your week!
Wishing you a week filled with unbridled enthusiasm,                                                                         Barb Bruce 
www.myradius.ca  705-927-5953  service@myradius.ca